Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trampoline Dreams...

So today I had a difficult time accomplishing much at work. I had planned on taking tomorrow off and leaving in the morning to go camping with the fam on an extended Fourth of July weekend. See we're going to Currant Creek this weekend. My cousin Jason is headed up today to scout out a campsite for his brother, his mom and their families, my family and my dad's truck. Anyhow, we have two pieces of property in the family that are owned within spitting distance of Currant Creek, however the Tribe has spoken and we're going. So, I wanted to wrap up all the things at work today so I didnt feel guilty about Soldiers not having their mobilization orders, yet the unit I'm supporting and other factors preclude me from doing my thing 'till they do their thing. Whatever. Suffice it to say, I just quit banging my head against the wall today trying to help people who refuse to help themselves. I can only do what I can do. There is a potential my name will be used in vain on Tuesday when I return to work of course, but I gave plenty of advance notice and still...nada.

So, today I got home and changed to go to the (W)Rec(k) Center with Stacey. Just a cookie-cutter workout today. Nothing to brag about. Half hour of cardio (it's the first rule of Zombie Survival) and a half hour or so of weights. This afternoon I was working arms as this morning I actually worked out at work and did shoulders in addition to some recumbant biking. Anyhow, I'm seeing modest progress and I really want to turn up the heat before Hawaii in just shy of a month. See, way I got it figured, Hawaii is an island. It just so happens it's a tropical variety of island. Tropic equals beach. Beach, by the Associative Property of Common Sense, equals swimsuits. Swimsuits, as a dude, means you'll be expected to take your shirt off. I aint gonna lie to you, it aint pretty. I have even caught glimpses of myself in the obviously flawed mirror in our bathroom. So while I'm really seeing gains in muscle tone, this damnable gut of mine refuses to depart. I'm running about 205 lb right now, but I think at 190 I'd be just where I want to be. Problem is, much like tonight, Stacey cooks incredible dinners and I eat out most lunches.

OK, that's a long way to go for nothing. Just setting the stage as to why the second trip to a gym in the same day. I like pain as much as the next guy, so it's not like I am doing this out of anything but sheer pride and vanity. Plus I know that someone will take a bunch of pictures and they will be forever distributable on some co-worker's Facebook page. Not good. Oh, yeah, also last weekend as you may have read already I drove around at high altitude sans shirt to try and level out my farmer's tan. I know, you're thinking, "But you're mexican?" Well kids, you've heard of, "Where the sun dont shine"? Well it applies across the globe.

Anyhow we got back from the Recreation Center and I commenced mowing the lawn with little droplets of rain threatening to ruin my plans to leave early in the morning. I finished that and then Josh and I played catch with the football. We also wrastled around with his big dumb dog Maggie (whom is a Big Schweeetie!) and just really enjoyed ourselves. From there, the neighbor across the street asked me a very direct and straightforward question, and I of course ran off at the mouth for ten minutes a soliloquoy of epic proportions. Sure I could have answered with less than a paragraph, but this way it reminds him why we only talk once a quarter.

Where were we? Oh yeah, so I ended up with Lexi. She asked me to play catch with her and the little red football. Just her and I. So I figured, what the heck you know? Sure, it's time we spent together just her and I. So we went in the back yard and of course Olivia wanted to attend. We all three played and ran around and chased each other. Olivia ended up on the trampoline and we played keep away from Daddy and Lexi. So I rolled up on the tramp and started to play with her. I tell you what, that little girl has the most beautiful and contagious smile. Her front teeth are so big and white and...oh, I swear you want to sop her up with a biscuit! Man she's adorable! Anyhow, all three of us ended up on the trampoline.

While I was looking up my girl Lexi put her head in the crook of my arm. Nothing to shake a stick at considering she's nine now and has the world by the tail. So we looked up and started to pick out shapes in the clouds. There was a perfect breeze blowing and the clouds were so thick you could eat them with a fork. I picked out a dolphin, a pot-gut, an ocean wave, and Lexi picked out three turtles and a school bus and a whole slug of other shapes. All the while Olivia kept trying to insert herself in between us like a little wedge. If Lexi switched sides, Olivia would run over and do the same thing again and again.

So, there's really no message today. Other than I had about thirty minutes of unmolested quality time. I REALLY enjoyed that time with Lexi. I wish I could have been out there an hour, but the dinner bell rang and it was Stacey's world-famous spagetti...and...well you KNOW how I feel about pasta. Pasta and me is friends.

OK, anyhow kids I have to close up shop now. We're watching, "Tangled" and I promised Lexi that she and I would share the bean bag without Olivia. This bean bag idea pays real dividends at times. Can't believe I was going to throw it away.

Anyhow, no message, no lesson-learned. Just wanted to share with you a moment of sunshine both literal and figurative from my day to yours.

Ciao Bella,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment