Thursday, June 30, 2011

Good People...

So this morning it looks like perhaps I'm going to write twice. But I didnt. I wrote the other entry last night, but Blogger wasn't Blogging so I had to load it right after the gym this morning.

Anyhow, I wanted to tell you about a guy I know. He was our son's football coach a couple of years ago when Josh played his first season of tackle football. Which, if you're playing along on the home game is an ACTUAL competetive sport worth playing, unlike soccer. Dont even get me started on basketball. Ya'll know how I feel about that, "game". Anyhow, I was planning the same hum-drum half hour cardio and half hour weights but I just wasnt really feeling the weights today as I'd already done every one of my 2000 parts this week. So I figured a nice little hour-long stroll down Eliptical Lane was just what the doctor ordered. So, I'm about twenty minutes in, and beside me appears Jason. He's the lead coach I was refering to. Well we start talking and (yes I let him get a word in edge-wise, jerk) he told me he was still carrying a Riverton Silverwooofs shirt in his truck he was going to give me a year ago.

See, they split our boundaries two years ago and Jason and his family ended up in the other high school's boundaries. So anyhow, we talked about his son, and my son, and their aspirations for college and football and blah blah blah. I dont normally talk people up, but Jason is one of these dudes that you just cant help it. He's humble beyond reproach but very capable. I think he works for the LDS Church in some capacity, but it's not as a seminary teacher. Anyhow, he and his wife and family moved down from Idaho a few years ago to relocate for his job. Within a few weeks of their arrival he was coaching our boys devoting way too much time to our sons and very little time to putting his new yard in and doing things that he could have been doing.

Well, in addition to being a really inspirational coach, he's also a devoted father and husband. He assembled a coaching staff that inspired every single one of our boys to try their individual best, which was all we were really after anyhow. So, he's quiet, but intelligent and possessed an ability to be tough on the boys but for a purpose and always with the intent of teaching.

About two-thirds through our season, their family experienced a horrible tragedy when one of their two year old twin daughters passed away from illness. It was devistating you could imagine. The entire team family ached for their loss. So senseless, so heartbreaking. Well someone decided that next Saturday we would have the boys all wear pink arm bands for the coach and his family and the remembrance of their precious little daughter. I really wasn't prepared that saturday when on an overcast morning, someone showed up with a white balloon for each boy and the pink ribbons for their arms. Ben is the name of Jason's son. I tell you what, I saw more courage from that boy. He showed up to start the game and Jason, understandably grieving, turned the reigns over to the assistant coach to start the game. Well immediately before we all got together and had a moment of silence, and ben let the first balloon go and the other boys all followed suit. It was a very somber moment and I still to this day can't imagine how been as the big brother could play that morning.

Jason showed up about half-time and had some words of thanks for the boys and their families. I tell you, empathy was poured out in buckets that morning and the following days and weeks. We took Josh to the funeral home to the viewing a few days later. Ben was there sitting in a chair inside the funeral home. One by one each team mate would come by and offer their 9 year old condolences to their friend Ben. When I got up to Jason you could see that he and his wife were numb to the reality and how drained they had been over the previous few days making arrangements to bury their beautiful little daughter.

I wrote them a letter in the following days and Stacey gave one of those little statues of a mother holding a child to them. I hope it was well received. I feel a kinship with Jason that frankly we never have time to explore. Life keeps getting in the way. But there's something about this family that makes you naturally gravitate toward their goodness and humility. I hope we someday get the opportunity to do so, but I thought I'd take a moment to jot down my thoughts about this good man and his family.

So, we finished the last forty minutes or so on the steppers and I walked out to the car with Jason and his wife. I made sure as I was talking to them that I layed it on real thick to his wife about what a great coach Jason is and how much our boys individually grew from his tutelage. I think in some way, I want her to know that the vast amounts of time devoted to our sons, which frankly can never be recouped and shared with his daughter was in fact sacred time to us and the boys. You may think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I dont think I am. I think we often underestimate how much affect we have on our youth at pivotal times. When we inspire our sons that anything is possible with work. When we tell our daughters that they are beautiful beyond reproach no matter what the snotty girl on the bus says we're setting the tone for who they believe they can become. I know that there are now 25 boys in this world who will remember their coach. They will remember their friend Ben and his courage to show up that morning and be part of their team despite his lack of understanding at the loss of his sister. I think that we all were impressed that through the tears shed in thankfulness by our coach at half-time that those boys can learn that being a man doesnt always mean you're stoic and in control. I think for that reason I want you to know what I saw that day and what I continue to see in these good people.

I want you to know that inspires me. That I sincerely look up to Jason and people like him. I want you to know I believe we're surrounded by people like this. I just didnt want it to go unspoken that humanity lives and I've witnessed it. That real tragedy and real heartbreak not only teach us individual lessons, but they stand as a template for others as personal strength to bouy them up when they need that example. I love that my son had such an experience with this coach and his assistants. My son to this day has a dream in his mind to play college and professional football. His eyes light up at the possibility and he believes in something bigger than himself is possible. I think that's a direct result of this family and the sacrifices, however unwittingly made, for these boys welfare. This family gets it, but they still may never have any idea as to the level of inspiration or faith they provided through the way they handled their tragic loss.

Anyhow, I gotta get going. Time to shower and get on the road for the vacation. I want to get started before it gets too hot. I haven't had time to recharge the air conditioning in the truck and pregnant ladies deserve better than my continual pushing off of the necessary.

All the best to you and yours. Enjoy your Independence Day. You know how I feel about Freedom. Dont waste it, get involved.

In case anything ever happens, I love ya.

Now go on, you bother me,

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment