Monday, December 5, 2011

Phase III...

Hi guys. Yeah, it's me again. Listen, I know it's been a while. I haven't had much time. I've been sequestered in the house doing my online training for my captain's course. Pretty much the last month since I got back. Wow, been quite a whirlwind too. Sam is growing like a weed now, Stacey looks fantastic and things seem to be on-track again.

So, let's see, here I am, in a room at Fort Jackson, S.C. It's a nice room. Basically a studio apartment. I went out with my friend Jeff and we got some dinner last night when I arrived. He's from Hawaii by the way. He too feels my pain on the whole distance learning module thing. Anyhow, it was great to get some dinner. I had the chicken chimi. It's my last good meal for a while. Oh, well see, I went to the Wal Mart after dinner and snagged some stuff for my room. I'm going to do my best to eat more healthfully while I'm here the next two weeks. Yeah, I picked up some brown rice cups, some Lean/Healthy cuisine microwave meals, and some fruit and vegetables. Additionally I made some goals on the plane over that I'm going to try and exact into the new year. Yeah, I know, 2012. Are you ready? Me neither.

So, speaking of that, while I was on the plane I started jotting some things down. I made a couple of lists. Things I'd like to do for myself, things I'd like to do for others, things I'd like to do professionally. I came up with some things that I'd really like to do. A couple of which I think I'll share herein.

1) I'd like to read my scriptures every day. I was doing really well for a while but about the time football season started it started to wane a little.

2) I'd like to be a better husband. I know, you're thinking, "But he's the bestest husband ever??" Yeah, I could do a little better. I've really been trying the last couple of years, but I think I could do better. So, I made a list. I started out with ten things to do each month to surprise, or show Stacey I care. However, then I thought maybe 30 items. Like, one a day. A secret list of sorts. So, I made this list, and I'm going to start checking them off. When I get to the end of the list, I'll write thirty more. I may even put it in my Outlook Calendar as a Task. Yeah, I know, Mega-Romantic. I get that a lot actually.

3) Now that I'm in a lull for military schools, I'd like to learn to play the piano. I've always wanted to, and believe it or not, I can actually sing, I just dont know how to do it correctly. So, since Stacey teaches....I put two and two together. I'm going to start lessons in January. I'm actually quite excited.

4) I've made some goals for my physical improvement. I really want to step it up a few notches, and as alluded to earlier, eat much better and step up my game with my physical training. I'm just now accepting that I'll be 40 in a couple years, and that's not scary at all. No, seriously. My goal is to be able to pull my shirt off in the yard at forty and not be hesitant about it. Yeah, I know it's vain, so sue me.

5) Professionally. I have a lot of ambitions for my new gig. It's really too much to go into here, but I want to redouble my efforts. Now that I'm full-time as the Commander and AO of the unit, I have all the time in my day to improve my foxhole. I plan on doing just that. Babysteps though. I should promote to Major soon, (eligible in February) and I'll be back on track to where I wanted to be.

Anyhow, I gotta get ready. I haven't read my scriptures yet and I wanted to knock it out before class starts. Much less stress today, I have a Dodge Avenger this go-round, and I am living a stone's throw away from the school house. I know a little more of what to expect and the level of stress is way down from last time.

You know I want nothing but the best for you. Thanks for taking the time.

Always,

J

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post and not because you say such raving things about me but that you are always looking to improve. I love that you always have a goal and that our children are learning that from you. I am amazed at your progess over this last year and by the way you look pretty amazing yourself. I will have to stand on the front porch with a shot gun everytime you mow the lawn. Thank you for always trying to improve yourself for our family. I hope to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete