Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hey there...

Hey, how you been? Gosh, it's been a while eh? What's it been? Five, six days? Well let's get you up-to-speed shall we? OK, start off with today, then we can bounce backward, maybe hit some stuff in the middle, back to the beginning and then tie in the end? Sound good to you? Good.

So, today I've been working on an award for a high up muckity-muck. Yeah, I can't go into whom on accounta it's a secret for that individual and one of you would just go and blab that you heard about it and ruin it. Anyhow, I got the tasking last Saturday on my Crackberry from the Chief of Staff and my boss the G-1 (Personnel). So, you dont exactly get to choose your taskings or priorities when you're in such proximity to the flag pole. So, Monday morning I tried to talk the Chief out of it, and he of course reset my opinion back to True North for me. He's kind like that. Anyhow, so I wrote the award on Tuesday and then had it rewritten for me on Wednesday, then again I re-re-rewrote it today. Suffice it to say, when you have so many Chiefs (pardon the pun) it gets old bein' the indian. But dont worry, I always liked that part about you. I prefer ONE Chief, many indians. Good wompum. Hummm. Anyhow, it pretty much took up all of my week, and interspersed betwixt all that, I had to put in my travel for my upcoming course in October, fix a mobilization order, Command some stuff, and interview replacement commanders. I tell you, no rest for the wicked.

So, I also, in order to survive, Facebooked (to use it as a verb) a grundle this week. You may or may not have seen my efforts. It's tough for me to focus at work as I have a severe case of adult ADHD. Or maybe it's ACDC, I cant remember. Anyhow, I can focus on not less than three things simultaneously. Couple that with a steady stream of people walking into my office and people waiting in the hall, it gets really difficult to stay on one thing for more than about a minute and a half. Oh, that reminds me. The Chaplain. He's a good guy right? But he comes back around every now and again to check on me. See, I made the mistake of telling him about an issue I was dealing with, and now I'm on his rotational rounds. He's just missing the clipboard. Plus he gets mad at me for not coming to visit him, in which I wonder, 'when would I have time'???

So, OHHHHHHHHHH man, the best PART! So tomorrow I'm headed up elk hunting. I. AM. STO-KED!!! seriously I LOVE elk hunting. This year I'm taking my pistol. My .45 Long Colt. Dad's going to loan me a .45 LC Rifle of his, it's a lever-action and just a beautiful rifle. It's a Henry Golden Boy and just a pleasure to shoot. Going to be even better putting a round through some spike elk I imagine. Did I mention I LOVE elk hunting? Oh man. The snow is falling in the higher elevations and with any luck, I'll be stuck in colder weather all the way through and including Tuesday or Wednesday. I took all of next week off and dont really have to make an appearance until Saturday of next for drill. In which I'll conduct a change of command with an as-yet un-named successor.

Gosh I dont know what else to tell you really. I think you're about caught up. OH except I bought two 250 gallon water tanks to put up at the lot. One is going to be on a metal stand and gravity feed into the trailer, and the other is to fill up and haul water in. I tell you, I feel like I'm taming the frontier. I practically killed me a Bar, when I was only three. Lever-action guns, hauling water, mountains, snow....with any luck, snowshoes. It's like I'm living my own private version of Jeremiah Johnson (Great show by the way) I have it if you need to borrow it.

OK now I probably left something out, but you know it's only because I forgot because I'm so excited. I'm packing tonight and I'll leave after I register the truck manana. First the reinspection at Jiffy Lube, then the on-the-spot renewal, and nothing but a vapor trail from me for five days. Oh, last thing, do me a flavor, say a little prayer for Josh and his team. They really need it. I'm going to miss this game, mostly because my priorities are all screwed up, but I really want him to kick butt and take names. The entire team. They need the confidence boost. So, anyhow, while you're sayin' your prayers tonight, thanking the Man Upstairs for all the gifts we've been given, through a little request out there for my little man.

K, seriously, Dora is now full-blast, piano lessons are about to end and I gotta get to my job as an invested father, husband and friend. All the best to you and your'en.



J

No comments:

Post a Comment