Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ocho de Mayo

So every year for the past four years we've run a little party out in our circle. Oh, we live in a cul-de-sac. Yeah, I forgot to tell you. Yup, an off-white picket fence, a big yeller dog, a two story house and a cul-de-sac. I'm a regular Ward Cleaver I tell ya. Only, I'm not all that fun. Father Knows Best I'm not. See, I grew up watching those Disney movies. With that guy who makes Flubber? Not the new one with Robin Williams, the old guy with the slicked back hair and the Model T? Anyhow, not important. I think the point is, that I kind of anticipated that when I walk in the door the kids will all be lines up with their hair combed and we'd all load into the car and head down for a malt or something. Well, anyhow, we try our best, but as close as we come is to having parties with the local riff-raff we associate with.

So, this particular year, there was some sort of conflict with the actual, "Cinco de Mayo". By the way, it's really just an excuse to get people out of their houses and grill in our driveway. Some time back someone showed up with a pinata, we started playing mexican music and it just sorta grew from there. It's like the unofficial kick-off for Summer in our neck of the woods. Anyhow, so we normally bring out a couple of grills, cordon off our drive way with tables and chairs and what not. Anyhow, so this year the Stroups brought not one, but two genuine paid-for pinatas. Stacey took a mess of pictures and if you care to see them just go to her sight. I myself try to pen a thousand words for each mental image I shot.

So where were we? Oh, anyhow, pretty good turn-out yesterday. See every year someone makes the mistake of wishing me a happy Mexican Independence day. Which is a total falsehood. First off, I'm Mexican back two generations. I'm a half Mexican. But see even my mom isn't full mexican because someone made naughties with an Irishman behind the woodpile. So, I'm not even sure I could really say with any real clarity how much Mexican I have in me. Oh, on my dad's side there's English, Swedish, I think a Frenchman nobody talks about too. So, I'm more of a Heinze 57 really. Anyhow, so the actual Cinco de Mayo is nothing more than the Mexicans whipping up on the French one time. Which, really if you had to tout your prowess as a global power, isn't really a lot to talk about. I mean, who CANT beat the French??? Well aside from England when the French came to save our bacon that time. Which, we paid them back handsomely by purchasing Louisianna. But that still doesnt beat how dumb Russia must feel at having given Seward Alaska back in the day. I mean, it's repleat with oil..they..cant...get...to. Bad example.

Anyhow, so we had a great time. We rigged up a ladder with a 14' 2x4 to hoist the pinata. Candy spilt everywhere. Then someone started the second-annual waterfight. I blame Josh Stroup. Anyhow, it really devolved from there and I now get to replace a few of my flowers immediately beneath the faucet outside and one of our daffodils will probably never recover from the blunt-force trauma. Oh, also a couple of kids kept targeting the adults, so betwixt Greg Olsen and I, we pretty well soaked them silly using his hose at his house.

So, grand total, there were probably six or seven families. Some folks that had never come out before and some that just couldnt make it due to familial and frankly more attractive obligations. Anyhow, it was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, it was in the mid to high seventies and just the perfect day. We missed those that couldnt make it but realize life goes on and we're not the only game in town.

OK, well I better close out, everyone is dressed and watching a movie about a big Golden Retriever so it must be about time to head to the "Choi-che" as Isabelle would say. By the way, it's Mother's Day today. You should see my girls. Isabelle has a red dress with a black sweater and a red flower in her hair. She looks like the quintessential Mexican peasant girl just about to bust out a pair of castenettes and dance around a fountain. Lexi is dressed a little more casual and business-like but still heart-stopping. Josh is wearing a peach shirt that makes him look accidentally handsome. Dont worry though, he's chowing down on bbq chips and they'll be all over his shirt and pants post-haste. Which brings me to Olivia, who's taking her pre-Sacramental nap so she can stand all over the benches and throw things at the people behind/in front of us.

Stacey looks gorgeous as always. We made her a big Mother's Day breakfast. Well the second one. Lexi made her breakfast in bed of light yogurt, bananas with whipped cream, some peanutbutter crackers, two peices of un-toasted bread, and a Diet Dr. Pepper. Anyhow, Stacey's making me feel guilty by cleaning up all the dishes we made with Second Breakfast of bacon, eggs, tortillas, and I'm told, "tomatillo" salsa. (Not Jicama). I apparently just called it, "Verde Sauce" for years and was just plain wrong.

Anyhow, we gotta roll now. You kids make sure to call your moms. Tell them you love them and you're sorry they live all the way across country and you cant be there in person. You and I both know the truth, but at least tell her on her special day you miss her. If you're a mother, or a mother lover, well, happy Mother Lover's Day.

I gotta go. Just...do something non-productive today ok?

Anyhow, I'll see you kids later.

Out Here,

Jon

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so fun - glad you guys had a good time and I'm sorry we had to drive two hours to Logan to sit through an eighty minute graduation ceremony and then drive two hours home instead. Incidentally, I've been laughing at your Sunbeam post all week long and then got the giggles on Sunday when your new calling was announced. (I'm giving you fair warning now that my Caleb will be in there...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty excited. It's the first calling I have ever had that didnt involve my pickup truck. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess since you outed me, I better get my blog updated and those pictures posted.

    ReplyDelete