Sunday, May 29, 2011

...Just fishin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O328z4F7WlM

You thought I forgot didnt you? Nah, I didnt. I've been busy kids. Had a nice little half-weekend lined out. We went to up to the lot. So, we had a pretty good time. We threw everything in the back of the truck (dog included) and headed out Thursday night. I pulled the little aluminum boat up. See, I didn't even take it out last year. As far as I remember I'd had some trouble with the motor going into reverse. It's not a bad little setup really. 14' aluminum jobby with a 9 horse driver and a 28 lb thrust electric trolling motor that goes from 0 to 3 knots almost instantly. Which, if you're keeping track is some serious ground you could cover (if you had a few hours to spare). But I digress.

So, we arrived at the trailer and I did all the requisite turning on of the propane, worked my magic on the batteries (New by the way. But you knew that if you're a regular subscriber) oh, I also lit the hot-water heater and blah blah blah. Apparently hot water is deathly important if you're going to have women-folk along. Which, of course we're heavy on. Women I mean. Not that they...oh crap, that's not good. Anyhow, betwixt Stacey, Lexi, Isabelle, Olivia (and Maggie) we're repleat with estrogen. We've checked that block ya'll. Oh, also toilet paper and napkins. Oh, and apparently soap. All those thing you need about five times the average male quantities of per chica.

Where were we??? Oh, so yeah, Rod (a good neighbor/friend/fellow bacon-eater) had talked about coming up on Saturday. So I was anxious to get this boat thing operational. In my haste I realized that the boat wasn't registered, or at least didnt have a sticker on it that said, "2011" which, is important. Because you're "2010" sticker, although still valid until June draws attention from the local fish-cops. Oh, additionally, a cursory, secondary, and tertiary inspection of my wallet yielded zero evidence of my fishing license. Which, I KNOW I bought because I put in for some special elk and moose hunts this year. (Of which, I failed to draw btw). So...additionally, I realized when my dad arrived, that the base to my fish finder was locked ever-so-carefully away down here in the valley in the shed. So the fish-finder (which only gets your hopes up and doesnt actually yield one pound more of fish) was also non-existant. Good news in all this, was that we had a new trolling battery. Deep-cycle type which coincidentally was the third battery in the trifecta that dad went and picked up in an earlier rant you may have ignored.

What time is it? Oh, anyhow, so after making some plans and doing some things, consulting the Farmer's Almanac and gauging the skies with my trained Naval skills, I determined I really didnt care about all those negatives. We're going fishing. Pile in kids. So, Josh, Lex, and Biz piled into Big Green and we headed down the road. I was eyeing the storm that loomed over-head but knew that since I paid my tithing and took that call as a Sunbeam teacher on Sunday all would be well. Oh, additionally I failed to locate a life vest for your's truly. (But the kids all had one). So, about two miles down the highway toward Starvation Reservoir, I decided instead to cut a U-ey and head back to Fruitland and North to the little reservoir of Red Creek. Mostly I surmised that no fishcop in his right mind would be up there to give me trash over my seeming indescretions and it was a small enough lake to row across should things go awry with one adult and three kidlin's.

So, when we arrived there was little evidence of the road which used to go "down" to the lake, as the lake had come "up" to the road. Oh, it's also devoid of a boat ramp, so you sorta have to back down the bank and launch your stuff by hand. Manhandling it as it were. So, about this time, the wind kicks up, the storm clouds move and threaten, Isabelle has fits with her life jacket, Lexi commences to chattering about Sonny With a Chance and this one time and this one episode, I'm trying to engage Josh with helping me take the straps off the boat and the wind starts trying to rip the doors off my pickup. Determined not to be thwarted by the nay-saying of others, ("nayyyyyyy") I deftly and almost expertly backed the truck about halfway to the bed of the truck in and kept the front wheels dry just in case that red mud so famous for Red Creek grabbed hold of the back wheels. Well of course I put Josh in the bow of the boat, and Lexi in the back of the truck with the rope and we went to gettin'.

So, blah blah blah. Boat goes in. I drive up, park the truck, quite satisfied with my efforts and abilities to brave the elements and still provide valuable and lasting memories for my children, grandchildren, and your mom's children. (Tell your ma I said, "hey" *eyebrows up and down* btw). Anyhow, get the boat in, and Josh and Lexi start getting that not-so-certain look on their faces. I toss Isabelle in, almost quite literally and we push off from the bank. Oh, of important note is the fact that the wind is pushing us constantly sideways and almost up onto the bank at this point. So I get the oar out (bloody 'oar!) and push us off long enough to get the big motor down. Then I proceed to attempt to tug on the lanyard. To no avail. Thing wont even budge. Locked tighter than the Vestal Virgin(ian)s' front gate. Just not gonna move. So, again, not being one to accept immediate defeat, I lowered the aforementioned trolling motor, and commence to fighting the wind. Well after about 37 minutes of trying and untangling floating willow limbs from the motor and pushing off with both bloody 'oars, we got out upwards of twenty feet from shore.

I had Josh rig up the girl's trolling poles and we made it just about three hundred yards from shore. The little trolling motor ramped up to "Warp Factor Five" and givin' her all she's got Captain! Yeah, just not happenin' today kids. So, I shut her down, and let the kids drift fish back almost to the truck before we got to shore. I had Lexi jump out and hold the rope which was ludicrous because she couldnt have moved that boat and us in it if she'd wanted to. So, we all disembarked, a little defeated and slightly humbled. Oh, also there was a couple and their son and a cow dog watching this whole thing from about two hundred yards away. The cowboy got up and put his hands on his hips and just sorta stood there wondering how this citified idiot was going to get that boat out of the water in the mud with three kids going on and on. Well, I'll have you know, not only did I do it, but I did it in style. I dang near went azz over tea kettle twice by stepping on the rope on my way walking down the very slickery boat trailer to grab hold of the boat. I'd say I was only in about 3 feet of water, but it sure looked uncomfortable to be all wet after slipping in with the old cowboy and his dog a watchin' us.

Anyhow, just like I told you it went down slicker than snot and we got the thing up and out of there. I can't believe you doubted me. Not so much as the tips of my boots got wet in the process either. Anyhow, the kids said they had a great time and we all learned a very valuable lesson. I'm not really sure what that is, but I bet you can derive your own life's lessons from it.

Anyhow kids, I'll leave you with the above URL and the lyrics below to sorta solidify it all in your heart of hearts. I miss you, but not as much as you miss me.

Are you still reading? I gotta go, my Sunbeams need me. Peace out, pats on the head and a nice little slap on the rump for those of you that had a good game.

Good Game,

J

"I’m lost in her there holdin’ that pink rod and reel
She’s doin’ almost everything but sittin’ still
Talkin’ ‘bout her ballet shoes and training wheels
And her kittens
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

I say, “Daddy loves you, baby” one more time
She says, “I know. I think I got a bite.”
And all this laughin’, cryin, smilin’ dyin’ here inside’s
What I call, livin’

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

She’s already pretty, like her mama is
Gonna drive the boys all crazy
Give her daddy fits
And I better do this every chance I get
‘Cause time is tickin’
(Yeah it is)

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’
Yeah, aww, she thinks we’re just fishin’
We ain’t only fishin’
(This ain’t about fishin’)"

No comments:

Post a Comment