Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday is a Special Day...

Hey guys.  How are ya?  I'm doin' great.  So it's been a pretty eventful Summer.  Busy busy busy.  We haven't been up to the lot for a few weeks because every night of the week and two hours on Saturday are devoted to football for Josh.  Lexi's doing a childrens' Broadway production of, "Mary Poppins."  She's playing the part of, "Bert" or, "Bertie" as it is in this case.  Lexi and Isabelle are both in clogging and Olivia is potty training.  Sam's doing great.  He's had an ear infection and working on his top two teeth now.  He's started biting people that make him mad (namely Olivia) and we've had to put the gate back up on the stairs because he's highly mobile.  Stacey and I are really enjoying these kids.  We wake up early, and fall asleep exhausted, but satisfied that we're doing everything we can.  Of course we've started working on Lexi's pre-tween attitudinal swings wherein she expects mom and dad to rationalize our every decision.  Josh is really doing well, but still leaves his football clothes in the bathroom after he showers.  We're really working on picking up after ourselves lately.  Well, mom and dad are.  Continually we remind people where their bikes go, reminding them to put their bowls in the sink, etc etc.  In fact, Stacey finally listened to my pleadings and threw away all but about ten cups and glasses.  Personally, I think we should throw away all but a dozen forks and spoons and cut down to the same number of plates.  Just to avoid doing dishes forteen times a day.

Wow, I just heard my mom in my voice there.  My mom used to say that, "I tell you that fourteen times a day!"  Maybe that's where I learned to speak in hyperbole.  You know, I'm really trying to work on being more patient with the kids.  Josh for example.  He tries to out-dumb me all the time.  But I'm certain I'm dumber than he is.  Yesterday I was teaching him how to use the weed whacker, which, you would think would be part of his genetic makeup as a 1/4 Mexican.  But alas, it may have skipped a generation.  But anyhow, I felt myself getting really frustrated that he couldnt walk backwards and keep from breaking the line off every time he put it down.  I found myself genuinely irritated that he wasn't moving more than at a snail's pace.  Then I realized of course I may have been making him nervous so I sent him in the back yard so I didnt have to watch him anymore. 

So anyhow, full day today.  I went to Lowe's and picked up a toilet flapper device replacement thing, and a wax ring.  Turns out the toiled upstairs is leaking at the base, and the toilet downstairs fails to fill up about every five flushes because it sticks.  I've still not cleaned my guns from three weeks ago, and now we've got Josh's game at Bingham today, and Lexi's performance at Riverton City tonight.  I really dont want to work on any of that stuff though. I just want to enjoy my family.  This morning I woke up early to get the Bountiful Basket.  Wouldnt you know it though, a dozen more brussel sprouts.  I friggin' hate brussel sprouts.  I think the best recipe for brussel sprouts is to bake them wrapped in bacon, and when they hit your plate, you eat the bacon and throw away the sprout.  Then after I got the basket I picked up a couple of drinks and then headed over to get some breakfast burritos for Stacey and I.  It's an off day today.  Neither of us worked out, so I figured the Diet Coke I was withholding all week could be enjoyed once this week.

Oh yeah, so this last week I've tried to get down to one 12 oz soda per dia.  But before I drink it in the morning, (and following my workout) I have to drink 52oz of water.  It's disgusting I tell ya.  Then I sit at my desk while I start my day and eat my breakfast.  Usually a couple hard boiled eggs and a banana or some other fruit and some carrot sticks.  It's icky stuff.  Then at lunch I try to eat somethign a little more healthy, and for dinner I either skip dinner in favor of a doctored protein shake, or just break down and eat whatever sinfully delicious Stacey has Pinterested.  But I try to stay away from seconds.  Key word, "TRY."  Damn that woman's a great cook too.  I'd be twenty lbs lighter if she weren't.  I'm a sucker for carbohydrates and sauces and stuff.  She's tried to get me to eat a simple salad for dinner, but I'd rather eat cardboard.  I'm a man dammit and I need meat  and potatoes so I can clear the North Forty in the morning. Or, so I tell myself.  Anyhow, so, let me back up.  I closed my Facebook account the other day.  No particular reason.  Just getting tired of complaining I dont have enough time.  Always rushing from one thing to another, and I've finally admitted it has so much to do with my constantly checking for funny updates or for the next opportunity to post something hillarious.  I guess I realized that fact when Isabelle was trying to talk to me the other day in the kitchen and I kept putting her off that my priorities were all out of whack.  Anyhow, I guess keeping track of old highschool friends and Navy buddies and work mates really just can't trump the time I should be spending with my little ones.  Especially when a great number of hours at home are spent changing disk brakes and fixing toilets.  No rest for the wicked and the righteous dont need it.

Hey, speaking of which, my little boy Sam is here at the foot of the couch looking up at me. Smiling in his heart warming big  boy way.  I gotta cut this short. More important things to do that waste the day away talking about how busy I am.

Anyhow, ya'll have a great day and a fantastic until we meet.

All the best,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment