Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sunshine in My Soul Today

So..there I was. No kidding. 800 miles behind enemy lines. With nothing more than a paperclip and a 1984 issue of Boy's Life. Nothing but my wits and a nice warm glass of Tab to keep me company. So, anyhow that's about the time that I learned the song, "Sunshine in My Soul Today". So, it's a catchy little ditty. One about waking up happy. Only...now I sort of understand it a little differently. See, when you're young, you figure that song means you just plain wake up happy. Cause as a kid, you sorta do. You either wake up to the smell of Ego Waffles, and the sound of momma in the kitchen making her a fresh cup o' Pero. OR you wake up and realize it's Saturday, and you've got to clean your room, vacuum your assigned room, clean your one bathroom, and mop that ridiculous tile in the dining room that was obviously for outdoor use. But I digress.

So, today, I had a discussion with a friend. Normally, when a friend is having a problem, I listen with the intent of having something valuable to say. Something of great import and of profound wisdom. I actually listen waiting for the two-second pause that let's me know it's time to wax eloquent. However, I'd started this conversation with a revelation about my own challenges in life, some recent, some life-long. Not really sure why I had been prompted to do so. Anyhow, so, as this person begins to discuss...I realize, our issues are similar, but not necessarily on par with each other. The more this person speaks, the more I realize I may not even have much to add. The conversation continues, and now I'm at a total loss for words. Those of you that have met me in the flesh will realize how incredible that statement is on it's on merit.

So, I really intently listen. This person is obviously hurting immensily. They really need to get this off their chest, without judgment by the listener, and frankly without advice being given. I wasn't really sure during the conversation that I had done any good. I hadn't even had the opportunity to share the finite wisdom I had acquired in my own life from such similar beginnings to the story. I simply had nothing to give. Nothing but listening.

So, I suppose now you're wondering why that would lend itself to sunshine and that song just beginning in my head. Well here's why. I went away no knowing if I had done any good. Not sure I had given them anything of any value, or just plain let them recount a story about a bad situation. Tonight, I have a feeling, it's a great feeling. I'm certain that just the listening part actually was exactly what they needed. As I sat down to recount the day's events, it immediately came to me. "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today." But there is. See, I've been so self-absorbed in my own issue, trying to find a reason behind the pain. Trying to figure out myself, my intent, my designs, that I became lost in it. I was pretty much wallowing in the horrific nature of not being able to make heads or tails of it.

So today, for an hour, I just had an opportunity to listen. I felt that I had nothing to give, and had desperately searched for a nugget of wisdom. Turns out the wisdom wasn't mine. Seems the Man Upstairs knows not only how to get me to stop wallowing, but also knows when someone else just needs a chance to be heard. See, I'm happy, because I think God loves a Two-For-One sale. He loves to help two people with a single effort. He also enjoys having us do it without realizing it 'till later. Then, like a ton of feathers, it hits you...There is not only a reason for sunshine, but I didnt even realize it was in my soul today.

So, I figured it out. When we were kids, we waited for happiness to come to us. Now, in a matter of odd coincidence, reaching out to help someone, realizing you can't, and then the quiet confirmation that God has it all taken care of, well, it sort of...puts a little sunshine in your soul.

So, that's what I learned today. I hope you get a little something out of it too. Have a great night. I know I will, and...you know, somehow, I think my friend will too. I betcha, there'll be sunshine in their soul too.

No comments:

Post a Comment