Friday, December 3, 2010

Eh....

Today, is just like any other Friday. I dont have to work, but I'm going to think about the back-log I have at work, and wish I really had gone to work. I'm going to be a little anxious this morning, while kids look around for misplaced backpacks and school books. Then I'm going to try to get in the middle of my wife's routine and try to "help" by nagging the crap out of them to get their shoes tied, find their folders, and for the love of all that is holy..."Change that shirt Josh, it's the fifth day you've worn it!!!" I'll attempt to make biscuits and a nice healthy breakfast (that Pilsbury cat really knows how to make good light and flaky biscuits!) Believe it or not, I have to hide the fact that I'm using grandpa Bill's homegrown eggs versus the Smith's brand for Josh. He's got some hangup against them because they are brown. I say, "Imagine what Brown can do for YOU!" 'Course, I sorta used that sentiment when talking Stacey into marrying me 14 years ago ...*checks his watch* on...Monday.

So, I've got all this anxiousness running around in my head. No other reason to be up at five-thirty on a day off. Well there is ONE other reason, however the baby is teething and momma graciously took her down to the couch so I could rest. She's so sweet that Stacey. Well the baby too, when she's not inconsolable that is. Actually she's one of my favorite four babies really. In fact, I was telling the haircut lady that just the other day. Or maybe it was my boss. Anyhow I love to brag about my kids. There's Josh, or..."Mini-Me". 'Nuff said there right? I literally can plan out his future based on my school of hard knocks mentality and the kid's got a tough row. Then there's Alexia (Lexi). Sweetest most beautiful wonderful student...demon child there is. She's gorgeous but doesnt know it. Blonde hair, blue eyes that melt you...and ability to sit and watch comedic movies and cuddle with her old man. Until...she feels wronged in some way. Then she's ALWAYS got to have the last word. She's a sassy one that kid. Next comes Isabelle Maria. That kid's a heartbreaker in the making. I imagine Eva Longoria was an ugly child next to Izzy. Isabelle had black hair, olive skin and deep pools of dark chocolate eyes that denote both confidence, and intelligence. She loves like a whirl-wind. At six years old and less than forty pounds she'll tear holes in your skin trying to hug you. It's either extreme for Izzy. When she loves you, you better watch out. Next comes sweet, danty, beautiful Olivia. Blonde hair, dark brown eyes, she litterally picks her food up like she's using tweezers. So deliberate, so focused. She has a smile that will make you crumble at the knees that kid. Big GIANT beautiful straight teeth. She can't say much at fifteen months, but she knows exactly how to get in and mix it up with her brother and sisters.

OK, so, where am I going with this? Well, not really sure to be honest. I felt I should capture this, as I really suck at journaling, and someday my kids may want to remember what I thought of them. A snapshot in time as it were. So, in about an hour, I'll stroll over to the stove (I HATE the fact that it's electric) and put the cast iron skillet on. I'll fire up the oven and slide the aforementioned biscuits in. The, "Big Kids" will one by one file down the stairs and begin talking. Oh, these kids can talk. But not at a conversational level. No, we have to talk at or above 100 decibles to compete. So, about the time that we're late for the bus, and we still haven't eaten our eggs, the home-made strawberry jam smeared across the table, on the cabinet, fridge, floor, dog etc... it will build to a crescendo of sights and sounds and confusion...that would make visiting Beijing seem like a calm walk in the park.

But I hope I stop a minute to smile. To soak in each one of them. To focus in on their strengths. Their beauty. To forget so much about catching that predictable bus, or whether their shoes are tied, but just love them. Love them and soak this moment up, because next Friday, they'll be a little taller, a little wiser, a little calmer...and I may miss this.

Hope you have a great day today. I've already decided I will. I hope your belly is filled with hot flaky biscuits, and your heart is pre-heated and waiting for those in your life.

Have a great day kids. Catch you tomorrow if I dont catch it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment